Friday, July 2, 2010

Granddaddy

A big reason why I haven't blogged much lately is because Ben's grandfather passed away. IMG_0560 
(dancing at our wedding.... the life of the party)

Granddaddy had surgery on his back & then the Monday after my friend Erin's wedding, we got a phone call from Ben's mom letting us know that he wasn't doing well.  We immediately left Mobile & headed up to see them, but Granddaddy passed away that afternoon, Monday June 28, before we got to the hospital.  
scan0034
This was very unexpected and to say it has been difficult is an understatement.  However, the celebration of Granddaddy's life over the next week was amazing.  The visitation was Wednesday & funeral/burial was Thursday July 1st & the whole family came from out of town to gather.  

I have been a part of Ben's family for almost 9 years now & Granddaddy embraced me as his very own Granddaughter from the very beginning (I don't have any living grandparents except Ben's since my Granny & Grandfather passed away, as well).  He has been calling me "Princess" since I first started dating Ben & called Ben "Champ" his whole life. 
3
Ben's Grandmother is such a rock & is so strong after losing her love & partner through the last 63 years of life.  I was in charge of & made a slideshow of all the pictures of granddaddy we could gather together to show at the events.  Everyone loved it & the stories go on and on of what an incredible man he was.  He will certainly be missed & we will forever be sharing stories & memories from his life.  

Cousin Julie & Jerry's son Miles celebrated his 1st birthday on Wednesday while we were all in town so we got together with a cake & sang Happy Birthday.
DSC_0909
Smiles & laughs with the kids were a good distraction
DSC_0917
Leigh REALLY enjoyed the blue icing
DSC_0920
Grandmother & Granddaddy's Flag flying at half mast


Robert Lee (Bob) Faulkner
October 23, 1924- June 28, 2010
DSC_0924
This poem from his program truly expresses what I think he would say to us now:

“A Fallen Limb”

A limb has fallen from a family tree.
I keep hearing a voice that says,
grieve not for me.
Remember the best times,
the laughter, the songs,
the good life I lived
while I was strong.

Continue my heritage
I’m counting on you.
Keep smiling and
surely the sun will shine through.
My mind is at ease,
My soul is at rest,
remembering all how I
was truly blessed.

Continue traditions,
no matter how small,
go on with your life,
don’t just stare at the wall.

I miss you all dearly,
so keep up your chin
until the day comes we are
together again.  

5 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Erin, what a beautiful tribute. I love those pictures. And that poem is so touching. What an amazing life he lived!

Lauren said...

That is so sad! Ben looks SO MUCH like his granddaddy! So sorry for your loss. I love the poem. I'll have to keep that one.

Lacey said...

Erin, I'm so sorry! That was the sweetest poem, def. got a lump in my throat. thinking of yall

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful I got to know him; he was a dear man and truly, the life of the party! Loved his bright, YOUNG outlook on life.

Elizabeth said...

Such a touching tribute, Erin. I'm so sorry for your loss.