Tuesday, May 10, 2011

lions & tigers & bears, oh my!

This past weekend, we took a last minute trip to New Orleans.  Ben's parent were there Thursday & called all of us up & asked us to join them for the weekend.  Ben & I didn't have any other plans for the weekend, so we were very happy to go!  

Friday night we had a delicious dinner at a great little casual steakhouse called Charlie's.  They don't even have a menu b/c the options are very straight forward:  large or small salad, small, medium, or large steak, french fries or au gratin potatoes, mushrooms, vegetables, and onion rings!!

Saturday morning we all headed to the Audubon Zoo to arrive right when it opened.  We said we were going for Leigh but I think that all of us enjoyed it just as much!  We saw every animal we could possibly want to see.  
 This may have been the highlight.  It was just amazing to examine the Peacock so close up and admire how beautiful God's creatures can be!  I also wondered how heavy all those long feathers were!  
We ALL took a ride on the carousel
You may be wondering why I didn't post any pictures of lions or regular tigers or even bears.... well, yes that's my post title, but those pictures weren't as pretty or exciting as these!

 After a yummy lunch at Mahony's Po-Boy Shop on Magazine Street (a street with so many cool stores that I can't wait to come back to soon with my momma & sisters) we shopped a little bit and explored the French Quarter.  
I had not been in this church in so long, but it was a much needed air conditioning break and beautiful to admire.  
We snuck into a bar for a little while for drinks & caught the Kentucky Derby race! 
Saturday night we were all extremely exhausted from such a long day so we kept it casual for dinner.  Then Ben & I hit the Harrah's casino with $20 in hand each and after an hour playing computer blackjack we came out ahead $8.00!   (Obviously you have to bet big to win big and we were betting $0.50 at a time! haha)

Sunday morning was the necessary stop at Cafe du Monde for Breakfast before coming home.  Oh, how I love thee beignets!  They were even more delectable that I remembered.  (and note to self: next time I shouldn't wear a black shirt.... powdered sugar EVERYWHERE)  
Every time we leave New Orleans we say how much we love visiting the town & can't wait to go back!  It seems like every time we do something completely different to take in all the city has to offer (my mom asked if I remembered the last time we went to the Audubon Zoo... um no, I was 4!).  Luckily I have my next trip on the calendar already.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cant wait!!!! love leigh's little dress.

Margaret said...

Wow..that last picture makes me so hungry. And so does the menu from the steakhouse...that is MY kind of place to eat! Yum! Looks like a great weekend!

Kelly said...

Leigh is just too cute. Looks like y'all had fun!

The Walker Family said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that city. Great pics. Leigh is PRECIOUS. Never been to the zoo. We'll have to check that out next time! Happy Wednesday!

Natalie said...

love it! i cant wait to go again in june. :)