I have always had a passion for food & a good family meal. I grew up not going to restaurants on weeknights or much at all (except for vacations & special occasions) and having home cooked meals at home every night! When I lived at home, my mom cooked us breakfast in the mornings, packed my lunch for school, and cooked a gourmet meal for the family every night. I would say that in this sense, I was spoiled. :) Now, when it's time for a family birthday or get together, we are a lot more likely to meet at my parents house than go out to a restaurant.
I am also not picky at all. We always tried different foods, were exposed to variant flavors, and tried to eat healthily. I can remember tasting cows tongue in New York, Escargot in New Orleans, and most recently some sort of Livers in Spain (Ben's family was nowhere near ordering that dish)... For a while now, I have said that the only foods I don't like are peanuts, coffee, and yellow mustard. While those are all 3 very popular items, they are really the main things I don't so much care for. I'm willing to try anything!
My mom has an extremely massive cookbook collection and cooked a lot of our meals from Cooking Light. She has also helped compile & print 2 different cookbooks. One for a medical society and the other is the "Setzler Family Cookbook." Most of our favorite family recipes are in there, and cooked frequently, and I also got a subscription to Cooking Light when I was in college. Through the years my collection of recipes has grown as well, but I don't like to keep the whole magazine once I have cooked from it. Instead, I ripped out the recipes I like and throw the magazine away. Now, with the popularity of the internet, many recipes I get from blogs, emails, or websites, I print out to cook from. My stack of pages became too much and every time I tried to find a particular recipe, I had to search through hundreds of pages to find THAT one.
My mom had a similar problem, and several months ago she came up with a solution to the disorganized stack of paper. Being an organizational freak, in turn, this week I followed suit and copied her idea.
My very own binder cookbook:
The process was actually pretty easy and not as time consuming as I thought it would be. Here is a cell phone picture of the process of separating all the different kinds of recipes into individual stacks (basics like chicken, pork, beef, appetizers, desserts, etc)
Then I found a "D ring" binder that I wasn't using in our office. I purchased 24 extra large color coded dividers and a package of 200 sheet protectors. Off to work I went... Putting all the recipes in the plastic sheet protectors behind the individual categories (in alphabetical order of course)...
I printed the category labels and a cute little title page with a fun font and a cupcake I found from "Fonts for Peas".
It's quite thick but really easy to use! I have already cooked from it this week, quickly finding what I needed from the "fish," "sides," and "sauces" tabs.
Whether it's fun recipes I haven't tried yet but want to soon, ripped from an old Cooking Light cookbook...
Or recipes my sister has shared on her blog and I printed out, even with calories per serving already figured out!
Everything is in there and so easy to find! I went through a cooking lull for a while there, but the past 2 weeks I have been cooking more regularly. I think this new book is going to help make it easier as well! Ben will thank me :)
Happy Cooking!




11 comments:
This makes my organizational loving heart so happy! We had nightly family dinners too where everyone had to sit down at the dinner table. I love this idea for a binder - it's going to be so easy to figure out what you want for dinner (that's my biggest problem now).
We too grew up eating at the table as a family every single night! So important! I'm just loving that you put that binder together! Its GREAT!
I may or may not have calculated the calories in scrumptious shrimp incorrectly...i think i either left out the rice or the shrimp.....
oops
I have a binder too; it's just not that organized :( My new goal is to get my binder organized like that!
Wow! What a great idea!!! Now, will you come to my house and do that for me?!? ;)
Oooo, how neat and organized! Britt's aunt made him a similar binder years ago (which we still use) but he has kept it nowhere near this neat or well-stocked! I need to get on that!
Kelly
looks great, E! you will love it. i can cook out of mine exclusively for weeks :)
So neat and organized !! Luv it! And the blog s new look!!
Love this idea and the new look for your blog. I love your header!!
Will you pleeeease start a "recipes" page?! That book is so pretty it makes me what everything in it!!
I aim to please.... Kate, I just created a RECIPES Page with the link at the top of my blog. I realized through doing this that I haven't posted as many recipes on my blog as I thought I had. I'll keep sharing as I cook through my cookbook!
Post a Comment