Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dreaded Court

Well, Today was the day I had been dreading for the past 2 months. (Read here for the back story to my tickets and reason for going to court).
.
Wednesday morning I drove to the Bay Minette Court House and arrived in the pouring rain at 8:15 for my 8:30 court time. There was a horribly long line getting into the courthouse and through the metal detectors, so I was worried about being late. By the time I reached the court room and checked in, the room was filling up. I waited and waited (quite nervous and scared) on the bench for over an HOUR. Around 9:30, the door opened, to what I expected to be the Judge, but ended up being a much scarier scene. A line of prisoners, shackled and handcuffed, connected by chains, in jumpsuits, lined by policemen, entered the courtroom... MY HEART STOPPED BEATING! I thought I was being approached by murderers or something! SCARY!
.
About 10 minutes later, the Judge entered, read us our rights, explained the process, AND informed us that this was strictly TRAFFIC COURT (thank goodness, they were probably in jail for DUIs rather than murder). So, after I watched about 10 people plead guilty (2 of which were sentenced to jail time, right there in front of me), myself and another lady were called up the the judge together to ask for driving school (she was there for the same thing, but she was going 95mph, against my 75mph).
.
It was as simple as this...
The Judge: "Mrs. Kennemer, what's your driving record?"
Me: "This was the first time I have ever been pulled over, AND..." (I didn't get to finish pleading my case)
Judge: "Perfect, that's what I like to hear. You will sign up for driving school, pay the court costs, and your record will be cleared, no fines, and no points against you, all charges dropped!"
.
So, $158.50 in court costs later, I'm signed up for driving school in September, and will finally have all this behind me.
It was a scary experience being surrounded by "criminals" and going to court (I know, I'm such a baby), so I hope to never be back there!
.
(new post below)

No comments: