Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BOSTON MASS

At almost 6 weeks old, Wells took his first vacation!  William and Brianne were getting married in Massachusetts at the same place we went a year ago to go sailing (see posts 1, 2,  & 3 here) and we decided that despite having a new baby we couldn't miss it!  Ben has been best friends with William since 3rd or 4th grade and I became good friends with William in high school before I ever really knew Ben.  William was very instrumental in Ben & I becoming friends about 12 years ago which led to, well, our marriage!

Knowing that Wells would only be around 6 weeks old, we asked my parents if they would want to come with us to babysit and help out, and they jumped at the chance and we had our trip booked WAY before Wells was born.  The day swiftly approached and while I was nervous about flying with a 6 week old, we were excited about going to the wedding and beginning our vacation early by going to Boston first on Wednesday September 12!

Oh I almost forgot, the trip got off to a rocky start because we stayed at my parents house the night before our trip because our flight was at 7am!  Somehow, I slept through my alarm and woke up 20 minutes before we had to leave to get to the airport, no time to wash my hair but Daddy helped me get Wells ready.... not a great start but we made it on time and in one piece!     

Our first flight was wonderful- the plane wasn't full and Wells was able to sleep on the seat between Ben & I the whole flight... not one peep out of him and sucking on his pacifier was enough to make him comfortable.
We got to the Atlanta airport where I had enough time to change Wells' diaper and feed him..... only to be followed up by a complete diaper blowout that got all over his outfit.  Back to the bathroom to change him into a new outfit and wash the other one in the sink... always an adventure!
He slept once again on the flight to Boston in Ben's & my arms
When we were about to land, Wells woke up and the flight attendant came by to give Wells a Delta "wings" pin... I'd say he earned them- everyone was impressed with how good he was!  I quickly realized that flying with a 6 week old is much easier than flying with children at a number of other ages.  All he did was sleep and we were relieved to touch down in Boston! :)
We headed to our hotel, checked in, and then went exploring the city
My wonderful parents outside the Cheers Bar replica

This park was right by our hotel and there were beautiful parks running all throughout the city
our hotel was on the waterfront and was a beautiful setting
The Marriott Long Wharf (our hotel)
After a little relaxation, we went to dinner at the Union Oyster House, the oldest restaurant in America! Clam Chowder was a must at every meal and was delicious; as was my lobster ravioli! 
It got chilly at night and I am obsessed with how Wells looked in his little sweater with hood.  
Thursday morning, after breakfast, we decided to take a trolley tour of Boston
One of our first stops was at "Old Ironsides" (The USS Constitution).  We came to Boston when I was younger and this was the main thing I remember seeing then.
They wouldn't let us take the stroller on the ship so Super-Daddy put on the Baby Bjorn and Wells slept in it the whole time
The trolley tour continued.... by Madison Square Gardens (or just the "Garden"- but Boston-ites don't pronounce the R)
This building was built completely with mirrored windows to reflect the beautiful church across the street.... and there we are on the trolley! 
That afternoon, we had a drink at the Cheers bar and did some souvenir shopping while my parents kept Wells in the hotel during his nap.  It took me a good 15-20 minutes to relax and realize that I was without my son for the 1st time in his whole 6 weeks of life and he was in good hands.  
At 4pm we had dinner reservations at Bricco with all of our friends who were going to be at the wedding, including the Bride & Groom, who came up to Boston for the Red Sox/Yankees game that night.  
Garrett & William (making whale noises for Wells)
Brent & Julie

After a delicious dinner we joined everyone on their party bus/limo to go to the game.  Originally, my mom, Wells, & I were NOT going to the game and were just going to shop and go back to the hotel.  But, during dinner, we were convinced that we should come and Wells would do fine at the game, so off we went!  
We found cheap tickets outside the stadium for my mom & I and we joined the group (about 20 people) in Fenway Park
our seats were on the very last row of the bottom section, so not the best for viewing, but a good location for having Wells. 
Groom William & Bride Brianne, with William's dad, Jim, holding Wells
Ben was so excited to actually be in Fenway Park and to have baby Wells and me there, too! 
Quite an experience to reflect on and tell Wells about one day
We had a great time and it was a late night so this little guy was glad to get in bed
Friday morning it was time for us to head down to Mattapoisett for the wedding festivities to begin.  Along the way, we drove to Plymouth, Mass to see Plymouth Rock and get some more history in!
The rock was much smaller than I expected and behind a big cage...
But the area was beautiful
Wells was asleep for most of our sight seeing but I didn't want to wake him up getting him out of the car seat so we just took pictures of him in there!  
There was a Mayflower replica which was pretty cool... much smaller than I can fathom being on to sail all the way to America
We ventured over to Cape Cod for lunch
and I finally got to try a Lobster Roll
Then we finally arrived in Mattapoisett and checked into our hotel for the rest of the weekend.  I'll cover all the wedding festivities in the next post because this one has become SOOOO long with SOOOO many pictures! :)  

5 comments:

Rachel Anderson said...

that lobster roll needs to be in my hands. NOW.
looks like a fun trip! boston is on my top 3 of places i need to take hollis. one day :)
love your pink (red?) pants. looking pretty mama, and your sweet boy is beautiful. cant wait to see yall in a few weeks.

Margaret said...

What a fun adventure! I so admire you for making the trip with a newborn! Says a lot about what an awesome mom and wife you are! I didn't learn my lesson, that I didn't have to hibernate with a newborn, till Cope was born! Precious boy.

Anonymous said...

It WAS a fun adventure! And, Wells was a perfect little traveler. Enjoyed your pictures!

Libba said...

I remember being up there seeing these sight together, many years ago. Looks like Wells is going to be a great traveler. Love you all!

Megan said...

I know Wells is totally a southern boy but he can totally fit in on the East Coast too! Love a great tiny traveler.

And you look GREAT Erin! New motherhood sure looks good on you!