Monday, May 12, 2008

Nail Polish Nightmare

Ugh, I am so mad about what happened to me Friday afternoon. After I packed us to go to Phenix City (visit Ben's grandparents) and a wedding in Montgomery, I was waiting for Ben to get home from work. I decided to paint my toenails a bright pink, as pictured above. As I was on the fourth toe, the brush part comes completely unglued from the handle and falls onto my WHITE matlesse (sp?)!!!! I quickly picked it back up only to discover 4 pink dots of polish... one of those moments you wish you could rewind real quick and put a towel under your foot.

Well, I immediately got on my Blackberry and Googled "nail polish on fabric" to find several supposed remedies: bug spray, goo gone, acetone, and several other specialty products that of course I didn't have. I immediately started attempting to treat the stain...

I tried acetone (nail polish remover)...didn't work. I tried ant and roach spray (may be similar to bug spray? i wasn't sure)...didn't work. I used acetone nail polish remover.... didn't work. I tried goo gone...didn't work. I resorted to throwing the matlesse in the washing machine with BLEACH (my first time using bleach, had no idea if it was OK)... PAUSE that story, and this is what happened while it was in the washing machine...

Ben gets home and we finish getting packed up and getting things together to leave. I still hadn't painted my fingernails, so I grabbed my white french manicure polish, a book, and Ben's suit and my dress hanging up for the wedding. When I make it to our dining room/kitchen, to head toward the garage, CRASH, the white nail polish falls off the book in my hand and hits the tile floor... WHITE POLISH EVERYWHERE! Splattered all over my nice black lace and satin dress (which I had only worn once before), all over the floor, our dining room table leg, and Ben's Suit BAG (thank goodness his suit was in a bag and came away unharmed).

At this point I want to break down and cry from the events that had unfolded... I mean, TWICE in one day? really, NOT my day obviously.

So I know I don't have anything to get it out of my dress, but I used acetone to get the polish off my floor and table leg (great on the floor, took some wood finish off the table leg). So we decide to leave and on the way out of town I take my dress straight to the dry cleaners... It's fresh so i figure they can do something for it... no the guy was already gone for the weekend so they would just have to hold onto it til Monday...

Fast forward to last night... we got home and took the matlesse out of the washer, into dryer... the pink spots are still there... BUMMER

And today, I pick up my dress from the dry cleaners... exactly as I gave it to them, with no polish removed... and I still had to pay $9.87 for them to do NOTHING!!

i am now banning fingernail polish to outside use only

NEW POST ABOUT THE WEDDING BELOW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jeez that is a nightmare. i am going to start being especially careful around the nail polish from now on!