Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Years Resolutions

Well, 13 days into the new year I am addressing the whole New Years Resolution concept. I have never really been one to make New Years Resolutions or give things up for Lent because I've just never thought they were realistic and everyone does the same thing 'lose weight'. This year is no different, I don't really have a New Years Resolution, but I do have goals for myself for 2009 (keeping in mind that MY 2009 started January 5 since we were on vacation until then)!
.
  • Find a new job in Pharmaceutical Sales. It has been 2 months now that I have been unemployed and it has definitely been tough. I struggle with my feelings on the matter because while I know it's not my fault that I got laid off, I have extreme guilt and feelings of inadequacies for not working. It's definitely not for lack of trying, but when my search is so narrow for Pharmaceutical (or Medical Device) Sales, and the economy is horrible, jobs are scarce, it's extremely hard. I still have a few companies who said they will be conducting interviews in January so I am really praying that something works out. Will you all please pray for me too? I would really appreciate it as I continue on this search. I also need to find clarity on knowing when the right time to explore other career paths, because I absolutely love and am devoted to this career, but the "what ifs" (i cant find a job in pharma sales) come up alot...

.

  • Go to the gym regularly. I have to admit I am off to a very good start here! Starting last Monday I have been to the gym EVERY day (that's Monday-Friday, i don't consider Sat or Sun a workout day, esp since we're always out of town). I'm off to the same pattern this week and feeling great!! Honestly though, I really hope that this becomes harder because that means that I have a job that's taking up so much of my time!!!

.

  • I joined SCALE BACK ALABAMA yesterday! It's a statewide weight loss program where you weigh in this week and weigh out in March (10 weeks). If you lose 10 pounds you are eligible for prizes! I of course have the goal of achieving losing those 10 pounds, but I will do that way before March, and plan to lose atleast 20 by March! I can do it...

.

  • LOSE WEIGHT... and I've already lost 6 pounds!!! That's why I know I can do it. I've done it before... I did a NO/LOW CARB diet before our wedding... for 3 weeks... and lost about 20 pounds. I had to emergency get my dress altered and taken in before the wedding, so while the seamstresses were probably cursing me, I was crying with happiness. I'm so glad I did this before my wedding, didn't have a double chin, and felt great. Only problem was, I gained it ALL back (and maybe a little more) after we got married! Yeah, the Newlywed 20. But no more of that, I'm ready to get back to being active, healthy, confident, and happy! I started a NO/LOW CARB diet again last Monday and have no problem sticking with it so far. I KNOW that this diet works for me, the problem is after i decide to "end" the strict diet, I can't just go back to the same ole ways. I have to stay conservative on the carbs and be SMARTER! I was raised to LOVE food and finish all of it. I still love food of course, problem is I like EVERYTHING, but I don't have to finish all of it. This goal will also include cooking healthy dinners more at home.

.

  • Spend more time with the Lord. Devotionals, praying, reading the Bible, quiet time, etc. This has been a goal of mine for a long time and I just didn't know how to go about achieving it. My first start is that Natalie gave me a daily devotional called the Prayer of Jabeez for Christmas. I am going to start spending a little time EVERY day/night to read the daily inspiration and really concentrate on what it is teaching me. After this devotional I am going to try to tackle the bible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't necessarily just want to read through the whole bible cover to cover just to say I've done it. My goal is to LEARN stories of the Bible and learn how to apply the lessons and teachings to my life in a better way. I just don't know all of the incredible stories this book definitely holds. It's a start...

.

OK, I'm done. I just needed to get all this out... hopefully stating my goals will make me more accountable and driven to achieve them. There aren't necessarily time frames to these, or specific numbers, but it's the general idea and to have Ben, family, friends support me feels great, and makes your goals alot easier to achieve! I wish everyone a happy, healthy, successful 2009!

4 comments:

Fork In The Road said...

Go Erin! I have been following your blog for a little while (I too am up to a very high count on google reader!!!) I admire you for setting goals for 2009! I have also gained the newlywed 20 (which I have nick named my love fat). Good luck with the rest of 2009!!!

Rachel Setzler said...

love the new post since it seems like i havent talked to you in forever! if you need any encouragement i'm here. as you know i've been going health crazy since august so i am here for any moral support or advice!! suprisingly it is possible to stick to healthy eating, if the healthy food is tasty! :) carbs smarbs. everything..almost..in moderation. call me lets chat about life. love you sissy

Rachel Setzler said...

oh and i might do the scaleback alabama thing! i just looked it up and there are places in auburn to do it. we could keep eachother on track! :)

Erin said...

thanks for all the encouragement!! it feels really good! yes rach, do it!!! it will definitely help to push each other on!! so far so good (momma even cooked no carb at the camp for me which i forgot to mention in that post so that helped!)