.
I was shocked and looked to my left where a happy wiggly Harper stood smiling at me!! The important part is that there WAS nearly an entire bag of Hershey's Kisses and Reece's Peanut Butter Cups (all left over from Halloween Bunko I hosted Monday night) in the bowl as well but EVERY SINGLE MORSEL of the chocolate was gone... not even a WRAPPER was on the floor. Harper inhaled every bit of it and managed to lick the bowl clean all before I discovered it.
.
I IMMEDIATELY ran for my cell phone and called the vet, remembering that all I've ever heard is how BAD chocolate is for dogs, but I didn't want to overreact! They confirmed my fears and I quickly ran Harper over the bay to the vet and left him to be examined. I called an hour later and they had induced Harper to vomit 3 times already, to which the Vet said "Oh my goodness I can't believe how much chocolate he ate," to which I was not surprised.
.
Our plans of taking Harper with us over the weekend were over, and Harper would need to stay at the Vet all weekend to recover. He ended up getting a charcoal treatment (as in the kind that an alcoholic overdosee gets in the hospital), threw up more times (un-induced), and had more tummy issues/diarrhea threw Saturday. We called over the weekend for updates and realized our baby was doing much better and we made the right decision by leaving him at the Vet to recover.
.
We finally got to pick him up on Monday after work and couldn't be more happy that Harper is home and healthy!! He did lose 5 pounds, and cost us $400 dollars in vet bills, but otherwise is like his normal happy self. Thank goodness I discovered the mess as quickly as I did or chocolate can have horrible effects on a dog. Besides death, it can cause neurological problems, arrhythmia (heart problems), and other GI tract issues. SO, ACT FAST if you dog ever eats chocolate, it really is as bad for them as you've heard!!! We love you Harper and are SO glad you are better! 

(new post below)



No comments:
Post a Comment